태터데스크 관리자

도움말
닫기
적용하기   첫페이지 만들기

태터데스크 메시지

저장하였습니다.

분류없음2014.12.14 19:26
Loading

Korean Air Chairman Strips Daughter’s Titles After Her ‘Foolish’

Behavior

By CHOE SANG-HUN DEC. 12, 2014

SEOUL, South Korea — It looked as if things could not get worse for the South Korean airline executive mocked

around the world this week for throwing a tantrum over a bag of nuts.

Then her father, the chairman of the airline, Korean Air Lines, stripped his 40-year-old daughter, Cho Hyunah,

of the titles she still had in the family-run conglomerate. He apologized on live television Friday for her

“foolish” behavior, when she forced her plane back to the gate and then kicked off the head steward after being

served macadamia nuts in their bag, rather than on a plate.

“I failed to raise her properly,” said the chairman, Cho Yang-ho, who bowed deeply and asked to take the

blame, showing contrition in the traditional South Korean way when one’s child misbehaves.

As if that was not enough, the head steward on the flight spoke up after days of silence, telling Korea’s KBS-TV

on Friday that Mr. Cho’s daughter had forced him to kneel and apologize on the plane as punishment for the way

one of his stewards had served the nuts to passengers in first class. The head steward was kicked off the aircraft

when it returned to the gate.

“You can’t imagine the humiliation I felt unless you experienced it yourself,” the steward, Park Chang-jin, said,

adding that Ms. Cho called him names, hit him several times with a folder of documents and hurled it at the junior

steward.

Ms. Cho later denied hitting Mr. Park or forcing him to kneel, making her statement as she emerged from

questioning by government investigators looking into whether her actions violated aviation law. But if Mr. Park’s

story bears out, it is likely to stoke already seething anger at the country’s family owned conglomerates — or

chaebol — whose leaders have a reputation for imperious behavior and treating their employees like feudal

subjects.

Forcing people to kneel in apology, a once-common punishment, has, after all, fallen out of fashion in South

Korea.

About the only good news, at least for business, came from macadamia nut purveyors who told local news

media that sales were surging. Some seemed to be having fun at Ms. Cho’s expense, with one telling customers

online that the nuts would be delivered “in an unopened package.”

Anger at the nation’s chaebol has risen in recent years as many people blame widening economic inequality in

South Korea on the conglomerates’ rapid expansion. The latest accusations of abuse by Ms. Cho have already led to

a new chorus of critical editorials.

“In this case, we see not only a violation of an aviation law but also the imperial abuse of an owner family,” the

mass-circulation daily JoongAng Ilbo said in an editorial. Another editorial, in the daily Kyunghyang Shinmun,

urged prosecutors to use Ms. Cho’s case as a warning to chaebol families that “act as if they were above the law.”

The newspaper also referred to other cases of what it called “depraved conduct” by chaebol families, including

one in which a member of the family that controls SK Group, a telecommunications and petrochemicals

conglomerate, received a suspended prison term for beating a former union activist with an aluminum bat

In his statements to KBS, the head steward said that he had not felt able to stand up to Ms. Cho because she

was “a daughter of the owner” of his company. KBS also quoted Mr. Park as claiming that Korean Air officials later

tried to hush the scandal by asking him to tell investigators that he left the plane of his own will.

Korean Air had earlier accused Mr. Park of “ignoring regulations and procedures” of in-flight services and of

trying to defend his crew’s mistake with “excuses and lies.” But the airline also admitted that Ms. Cho’s decision to

remove him from the flight was “excessive.”

On Tuesday, after the episode on the flight bound for Incheon, South Korea, from New York’s Kennedy Airport

had become public, Ms. Cho resigned as head of the airline’s in-flight services. She retained her title as vice

president until Friday, however. At that point, her father said he would deprive Ms. Cho, his eldest child, of that

job and her other executive posts at his sprawling conglomerate, Hanjin Group, which owns hotel, shipping and

logistics businesses as well as Korean Air.

South Korean aviation law bars passengers from acts that could endanger a plane’s safety, such as shouting,

using threatening language or otherwise causing a disturbance. Local news media has reported that Ms. Cho

“raised hell” during the Dec. 5 episode, screaming at crew members. Prosecutors are also investigating whether

Korean Air tried to cover up the episode and raided the airline’s offices on Thursday as part of its investigation.

There have been calls online to boycott the airline, and a parody video of a Korean Air commercial online had

more than a half million views, and counting. The commercial called the airline “Peanut Air.”

On Friday, Ms. Cho seemed chastened by the public embarrassment. As she arrived for questioning at the

offices of South Korean Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, she spoke in a whisper with her head

bowed as a scrum of journalists snapped photos and thrust microphones in her face. She then said she would

apologize in person to the crew members she was accused of abusing.



분류없음2013.09.29 09:57
Loading

뉴욕타임스, NSA SNS통해 민간인사찰 대대적 보도

원본출처 http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/29/us/nsa-examines-social-networks-of-us-citizens.html?_r=0


분류없음2013.04.19 08:37
Loading

The New York Times


 


April 18, 2013

South Korean Intelligence Officers Are Accused of Political Meddling

SEOUL, South Korea — At least two agents from the South Korean National Intelligence Service illegally posted comments online criticizing the political opposition ahead of the December presidential election, the police said on Thursday in an interim report on an investigation into accusations of political meddling.

The police said it remained unclear whether the two agents were part of an operation to influence the Dec. 19 election, as the opposition Democratic United Party claimed. But the findings were a blow to President Park Geun-hye, who had vehemently accused her opposition rival, Moon Jae-in, of a political offensive when his party first made accusations of illegal campaign activities by intelligence agents.

Ms. Park, the governing party candidate, won the election by a margin of one million votes.

The case revived long-held suspicions among South Koreans over the role of the National Intelligence Service. The country’s former military dictators — including Ms. Park’s father, the late President Park Chung-hee — had used the agency, once known by its infamous acronym, K.C.I.A., to torture and silence dissidents and influence domestic politics.

After the country democratized in the early 1990s, the agency, which has changed its name a few times, repeatedly vowed not to intervene in politics.

On Thursday, Lee Kwang-seok, chief of the Suseo Police Station in Seoul, admitted difficulties investigating the secretive agency. The supervisor of the two agents, who are from the intelligence service’s psychological intelligence bureau, refused to be questioned, Mr. Lee said.

The police asked prosecutors to formally indict the two agents, whose names were not released, on charges of violating a law that requires intelligence officers to maintain political neutrality. A third person, not affiliated with the agency, faces a criminal charge of helping the agents in their online operation.

The police, citing a lack of evidence, stopped short of accusing the agents of a more politically volatile crime of violating the country’s election law, a decision the opposition party called a whitewash.

Political parties had earlier agreed to conduct a separate parliamentary inquiry. Prosecutors have also barred the former intelligence service director, Won Sei-hoon, a close ally of former President Lee Myung-bak, from leaving the country.

There was no immediate reaction from Ms. Park’s office or the intelligence service. The agency had earlier denied interfering in the election. It said its officers’ online activities had been part of its normal psychological operations aimed at North Korea.

Park Yong-jin, spokesman for the Democratic United Party, said Thursday that the case showed that the agency was “'a chambermaid of political power,” and compared the campaign activities of which it is accused to a “coup d'état.”

Mr. Park also accused the national police of dragging their feet in investigating the case, out of fear of offending President Park. The police said the investigation was continuing.

The case began when police officers and officials from the National Election Commission knocked on the door of a room in an office and residential complex in southern Seoul on Dec. 11, just over a week before the election. They were responding to a tip from the opposition party that a 29-year-old agent was running an illegal online election campaign operation from there.

But they could not even enter the room, as the agent had locked herself in. A political standoff erupted. The opposition accused the intelligence service of blocking an investigation. Ms. Park and her party accused the opposition of harassing the woman. The police took two days to obtain two computers from the woman and another two days before questioning her for the first time.

Three days before the election, the police said they had found no evidence of illegal online activities. After the election, however, the police said further investigations revealed that the woman used 16 Internet user IDs to upload numerous comments often criticizing opposition candidates on politically sensitive issues. Still later, they questioned a second agent and a person who was said to have been hired by the agents to assist them in their work.


분류없음2013.01.28 09:31
Loading

The video says it shows a man named Won Young Youn, in a dark polo shirt, sitting casually at a table in Flushing, Queens. In his left hand he holds a recent purchase from an online auction, a small metal tablet that, he explains, is a plate that was used for printing currency in Korea during the tumultuous period before that country became a colony of imperial Japan

원본출처 http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/nyregion/korean-artifact-bought-online-leads-to-arrest.html

 

2013/01/22 - [분류 전체보기] - 그레고리 핸더슨 한국유물 밀반출, 버거대사도 막으려 했다[1]-미국무부 비밀전문

2013/01/15 - [분류 전체보기] - 윤원영씨, 호조태환권 원판 소지-운반혐의로 전격 체포 - 기소장 원문

2010/05/06 - [분류 전체보기] - 미해군부사관 625때 호조태환권 원판 약탈

As to how the century-old artifact got from Seoul to an auction house in Michigan, Mr. Youn is frank: During the Korean War, an American Marine simply took it from the royal palace. He adds: “When I saw that, it really caught my attention.”

Now, Mr. Youn is in a federal detention center in Detroit, where he was taken after his arrest this month on charges of possessing and transporting stolen goods, felonies that each carry a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

The arrest came about as a result of a multiagency investigation that was aided by the South Korean government.

The arrest was also a result of Mr. Youn’s boasting. Though he received warnings, including one from the South Korean Embassy, that his purchase was illegal, he eagerly told Korean-language newspapers and radio and television stations of his acquisition.

The plate is perhaps the only survivor of a small number that were created in the 1890s, during a period of reform and the decline of the Korean monarchy, before the start of Japanese rule in 1910, according to Joshua Van Lieu, a professor of Korean history at LaGrange College in Georgia. Dr. Van Lieu, whose research on the plate’s significance was used in the investigation, added that given the plate’s rarity, “it would be priceless.”

Mr. Youn, 54, paid $35,000 for it in an April 2010 auction held by Midwest Auction Galleries, a company in Oxford, Mich.

The plate was among the items it was selling on behalf of a Michigan woman named Kathy Vogt; according to the criminal complaint, Ms. Vogt said she knew little about their provenance other than that they had been handed down by a relative who had been a Marine during the Korean War.

Reached by telephone, her husband, Robert Vogt, would not answer questions about the plate or the case. “The way things are, I would rather not discuss it right now,” he said.

Shortly before the 2010 sale, a State Department official as well as Jong Cheol Lee, the Korean Embassy’s counselor for legal affairs, warned the auction house that the plate was believed to have been looted, and that selling it would be a violation of the National Stolen Property Act, according to the criminal complaint.

A man who answered the telephone at Midwest Auctions last week said James Amato, the auction house’s owner, was not available to speak to a reporter. The man, who identified himself only as Jim, expressed surprise that Mr. Youn had been arrested.

No one associated with the auction house has been charged with a crime, said Gina Balaya, a spokeswoman for the Justice Department in Washington, who added that the investigation was continuing.

Mr. Youn, who lives in Fort Lee, N.J., bought the plate while using a friend’s computer in Flushing, the authorities said.

Mr. Lee said in an interview that when he called Mr. Youn after the sale and told him the item was stolen and should be returned, Mr. Youn said that as a Korean, he was proud to have reclaimed it. In the spate of coverage that ensued in the Korean media, Mr. Youn seemed to present himself as a sort of Indiana Jones figure, saving Korean artifacts from obscurity in the United States.

That posture did not make him hard to find. While Dr. Van Lieu was doing his research, he saw the video on YouTube of Mr. Youn sitting at the table in Flushing and holding the plate, according to the criminal complaint. Mr. Youn was arrested in Palisades Park, N.J., on Jan. 9. He is awaiting a detention hearing scheduled for this week.

Patrick J. McIlwain, a lawyer at Rha & Kim of Bayside, Queens, which represents Mr. Youn, said the firm was “committed to defending him.” He declined to comment further on the case.

The printing plate has been confiscated, a spokesman for United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement said. It is likely to be returned to South Korea. The situation was not what Mr. Lee, the embassy official, had hoped for. “The goal is not for a person of Korean origin to be convicted,” he said. “The goal is to retake a precious cultural asset.”

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: January 27, 2013

An earlier version of this article incorrectly characterized the period in which the plate was created. It was during a period of reform and the decline of the Korean monarchy, before the start of Japanese rule in 1910; not during a republic that briefly existed between the decline of the Korean monarchy and the start of Japanese rule in 1910.

분류없음2012.12.19 17:44
Loading

뉴욕타임스, 박근혜 당선보도 '독재자의 딸 한국대통령선거에서 이기다' 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/world/asia/south-koreans-vote-in-closely-fought-presidential-race.html?_r=1&

뉴욕타임스, 박근혜 당선보도 '독재자의 딸 한국대통령선거에서 이기다' 뉴욕타임스, 박근혜 당선보도 '독재자의 딸 한국대통령선거에서 이기다'

분류없음2010.09.09 17:29
Loading


뉴욕타임스도 결국은 종이신문 발행을 중단할 것이라고 밝혀 큰 충격을 주고 있습니다 

아서 슐츠버거 주니어 뉴욕타임스 밣행인은 8일 오후 [런던 현지시간] 영국 런던에서 열린 제9차 국제 미디어 서밋 [9th International Newsroom Summit]에서 '우리는 시기를 확실히 밝힐 수 없지만 장래 어느 시점에 종이신문 발행을
중단할 것'이라고 밝혔습니다  "We will stop printing the New York Times sometime in the future, date TBD,"
[* TBD means 'to be declared']

슐츠버거 발행인은 국제 미디어 서밋 첫째날인 8일 4번째 세션 '컨텐츠 유료화 어디로 갈 것인가'의 기조연설자로 나서
컨텐츠 유료화 정책을 밝힌뒤 '오는 2015년에는 종이신문이 자취를 감출 것으로 보느냐' 는 질문에 대해 이같이 답변했습니다

슐츠버거 발행인은 또 뉴욕타임스가 내년초부터 컨텐츠 유료화에 돌입한다며 독자들은 매달 일정량의 기사는 무료로 볼 수 있지만 그 이상은 돈을 내야 할 것' 이라고 말했습니다

'metered' paywall 로 명명된 뉴욕타임스 컨텐츠 유료화 정책은 이미 지난 1월 1년뒤 일부 유료화 될 것이라고 뉴욕타임스
지면을 통해 공지됐으며 뉴욕타임스는 이를 위해 구글과도 힘을 합칠 것으로 알려졌습니다

이에 대해 비지니스 인사이더 설립자 헨리 블로젯씨는 온라인 뉴스 비지니스는 신문 발행에 필요한 인쇄시설등을 갖추지 않아도 된다. 뉴욕타임스가 새로운 디지털 수익 창출에 성공하지 못한다면 결국은 구조조정이나 감축이 불가피할 것' 이라고
전망했습니다

==============================================================================================================

핫이슈 언론보도2009.09.12 21:07
Loading

미국 주요 신문들이 인도네시아의 소수민족들에게 한글을 보급하는 사례를 집중 보도하며 한글에 대한 관심을 보이고 있다.

월스트리트저널(WSJ)은 11일 인도네시아 소수민족이 사라져가는 토착어를 지키려고 한글을 사용하기로 했다면서 ’한글섬’ 사연을 소개했고, 뉴욕 타임스(NYT)는 12일 ‘한글이 한국의 새로운 수출품으로 등장하고 있다’며 훈민정음학회 이기남(李基南.75) 이사장의 이야기를 보도했다.

우선 WSJ에 따르면 인도네시아의 부톤섬은 문자가 없는 토착어를 지키고 보존하기 위해 이를 표기할 문자로 한글을 채택하고 학생들에게 한글을 가르치고 있다.

“찌아찌아 문화가 사라지지 않게 돼서 이젠 행복합니다” 부톤섬의 초등학교 교사인 아비딘은 교과서에 있는 한글을 조심스럽게 칠판에 적은 뒤 수업중인 4학년 학생들에게 토착어인 찌아찌아어로 어떻게 읽는지를 물었다. 이들은 3천500마일이나 떨어진 한국에 대해 아는 것이 별로 없다. 몇 달 전까지만 해도 한국인을 만나본 적도 없지만 문자가 없는 토착어를 지키고 보존하기 위해 이를 표기할 문자로 한글을 채택했다.

신문은 한국인들이 세종대왕이 1446년 발명한 한글에 대해 대단한 자부심을 갖고 있다면서 한자와 알파벳에 대항해 한글의 해외 진출을 모색하고 있다고 전했다. 언어는 있지만 문자가 없어 고유의 언어 자체가 사라질 위험에 처한 소수 민족들이 타깃이다.

서울대 언어학자들은 이들을 위한 교재를 직접 만들어 배포했는데 이 프로젝트를 주도한 서울대 이호영 교수는 “그들은 자신들의 언어와 문화를 보존하길 원한다”고 말했다.

앞서 지난 1990년대에도 한국의 음성학 전문가가 중국 남부와 동남아에 거주하는 종족의 언어인 ’라우’를 위해 한글 기반의 문자를 고안한 적이 있지만 광범위한 한글의 사용을 이끌어내진 못했었다.

부톤섬 주민들은 이제 한글 사용을 넘어 아시아 경제강국중 하나인 한국과의 교류강화도 희망하고 있다. 작년 11월엔 부톤섬 최대 도시인 바우바우의 정부 관리들이 한국을 방문해 기업들을 탐방하고 관광개발 노하우를 전수받기도 했다.

바우바우시의 아미룰 타민 시장은 바우바우에 한국 문화센터를 건립하고 주변해역에서 생산되는 해초를 한국에 수출하는 방안도 희망하고 있다. 타민 시장은 “한국기업들이 바우바우에 투자해 이곳에서 사업을 시작할 수도 있을 것”이라고 말했다.

NYT는 부동산과 건설업으로 많은 돈을 번 이기남 여사가 훈민정음학회를 창설하고, 외국에 한글을 전파하는데 앞장서고 있는 사연을 집중 보도했다.

한때 교사를 지냈던 이씨는 건설업으로 재산을 모은 뒤 2002년 아버지 원암(圓庵) 이규동 선생의 호를 따서 원암문화재단을 설립해 한글의 해외 보급사업에 착수했다. 경북대 사범대 학장을 지낸 원암 선생은 일제강점기 때 대구고등보통학교 교사로 근무하면서 학생들에게 몰래 한글을 가르치다 면직(免職)당했던 분.

이씨는 초기에는 네팔, 몽골, 베트남, 중국 등 외국에서 활동하는 한국인 선교사들을 통해 한글을 외국에 보급하는 활동을 전개했고, 2007년에는 서울대 언어학과 김주원 교수등과 함께 훈민정음학회도 창립했다. 2008년부터는 인도네시아 소수민족 찌아찌아족(族)이 자신들의 언어를 표기할 문자로 한글을 채택하는 사업을 후원해 이들을 위한 한글교재를 펴내기도 했다.

이씨는 “국경없는 의사회라는 단체처럼 세계에 자기들의 언어를 표기할 문자가 없는 사람들에게 한글을 보급하는 사업을 계속할 생각”이窄庸� 찌아찌아족에 대한 사업을 시작에 불과하다고 말했다. 그러면서 “세종대왕이 국민들을 사랑해 한글을 창제하셨듯이 한국인들도 인류애 차원에서 한글을 세계에 널리 보급해야 하며, 이것이 세계화시대의 임무”라고 강조했다.

NYT는 그러나 무슬림 국가들이 한국 기독교 선교사들의 선교활동에 우려를 표시한데 이어 이씨의 한글 보급 시도에 대해서도 일부 우려가 제기되고 있다고 지적했다.

니콜러스 담멘 한국주재 인도네시아대사는 “찌아찌아족이 굳이 한글을 수입할 필요는 없으며, 로마자로 표기를 할수도 있다”면서 바우바우의 다른 부족들이 찌아찌아족에 대한 ‘특별대우’를 시기하고 나설 개연성이 있다며 우려를 표시했다고 NYT는 전했다.